Monday, February 9, 2009

Can't catch my breath

Have you ever witnessed something so breathtakingly beautiful that you can't quite accept what you just saw? That you think it can't be real because it was too....astounding, too perfect??
My mom told me it was a full moon tonight, and I love to go outside and look at the moon when it's blindingly bright and round, so tonight my parents and I stepped outside into the rather balmy (for MN) night air, and watched the clouds roll over that huge moon. After a while they left, but I stayed out to gaze at it; this thing was so flawless and white I couldn't help but be completely mesmerized. The clouds were rushing across that moon like flocks of birds, blotting it out and then breaking to show off the perfect brightness....
And then the stars! I took a trip to the Boundary Waters a few summers ago and had my first night paddle. It was amazing--we laid back in our canoes and just watched the sky change, observing all the stars and constellations (as well as seven shooting stars). I have never seen as many little twinkling dots in a navy sky as I did in that one night; tonight wasn't even close, but this is the most stars I've ever seen this close to a city. I think I saw Mars, glinting red way off in the distance, and a few other stars that literally twinkled--you haven't seen the night sky until you've stared into the blue-blackness and seen little pinpricks of light flickering on and off, like lightening bugs up in heaven. Train whistles echoed through the darkness, and with the wind rustling the bare branches of trees just enough to be calming and not creepy, I couldn't stop my eyes from sucking up every detail of the night. It was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen in my life. I can see why some people are drawn to the night; I know I am.

~Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment