Friday, January 9, 2009

Short Story--8th Grade English Project, in fact

"I hated it when it was drafty. The windows were always open, and I liked it that way, but at night the wind whistling through the eyelet lace curtains and billowing about in the bedrooms could be awfully creepy. I huddled deeper into my burrow of flannel sheet and down blanket, and tried to drift off. Come on, Laura, I said to myself forcefully. Shut your eyes and let everything go, it’s time for sleep now. But nothing I told myself helped, neither the gentlest suggestion nor the harshest warning. My churning mind turned red-hot with an anger I could not suppress. This had happened before, I thought as I squeezed my eyes together, and I couldn’t help it last time either...but I couldn’t think about them, I just couldn’t. I rolled over to face the lone window of my bedroom and, consequently, the chilly wind. The cold distracted me slightly. But at last, after several more agonizing minutes internally arguing with the breeze and myself, I threw off the sheet and blanket, wrapped the silky nightgown tighter around myself, and tiptoed over to the window and slammed it shut."

5 comments:

  1. Ooh this is really good!

    Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dawlin'!!!! Yours kicks ass too. :-) That was just a little part of this project I did for English last year--I'll tell you about it sometime.
    Heyhey, I've got Pareeee pictures on mon laptop pour vous when I see you tomorrow! I can post them here or send them to you, whatever.

    ~Josie

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me sad. last time i edited your book was like, seventh grade. seriously.
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT'S YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! *MUAH!* dude, I like the name!!! kind of emo in a sweet sort of way. nice. YAY you have a blog!

    love,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes i do . and i thank/emplore you to read it
    just kidding
    its a dark and scary place that few understand if they can bear it.

    wait.
    bare it
    ha

    ReplyDelete